This recipe is based on an old recipe I have used many times over, and very easy to make. It can be kept in the refrigerator for quite a few days. Serve with low carb veg sticks, such as celery and cucumber; you could also make keto flaxseed chips or fathead crackers to go with it.
- 100 g butter, softened
- 2 tbspns olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 400 g chicken livers, trimmed
- 1 small wineglass brandy
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbspn chopped parsley
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a frying pan,
- Slowly fry the onion) and garlic for 10 minutes, until soft and tender, then remove to a plate.
- Add the livers and cook the for two or three minutes on each side, until lightly coloured but still a little pink in the middle. You need to keep tuning them over. If you overcook them they will lose their smooth texture and become grainy.
- Turn up the heat to high and pour in the brandy. If you’re using a gas hob you can flame it until the alcohol cooks off, but watch out for your hair! Simmer for just a minute or so until there is very little liquid, or none left, then take the livers off the heat and tip them into a food processor. Blitz immediately until you have a smooth purée.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped parsley and fold into the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a one serving bowl if serving for 4 – 6 people at one time or divide into 3 ramekins if you want to keep dipping into the fridge for snacks.
- Leave the parfait to set in the fridge for 1 hour.
- It will taste good straight away, but will be even better if the flavors are left to develop over a couple of days.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3 g||4.6%|
|Saturated Fat 3 g||15%|
|Total Carbohydrate 2 g||0.7%|
|Dietary Fiber 0 g||0|
|Protein 4 g|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.