Why detoxify your body?
Detoxification is the process of eliminating toxic substances from your body. Your body has natural built-in mechanisms to get rid of toxins, such as crying, sweating, a runny nose and going to the loo.
Unfortunately that is not enough in today’s world. We live in an environment that has become overloaded with toxic agents and pollution which causes our bodies to struggle to eliminate them.
Becoming aware of the elements that cause toxic build-up in the body in the first place, so that you can avoid them as much as possible, is a good start. Then, being aware of the signs of having toxins in your body and using regular routines to eliminate toxins will assist in keeping your body healthy.
The Low Carb Diet is a good way to start losing toxins by eating natural, whole and organic foods and eliminating toxic sugars and starches (See Why carbohydrates are bad for you). However, there are other factors that cause toxic build-up in your body that can inhibit weight loss, so additional detoxing techniques will help you to boost weight loss.
What causes toxicity in the body?
- Air pollution.
- Foreign chemicals in household cleaning products, cosmetics and pesticides.
- Heavy metals such as mercury, lead and aluminium, build up in the body over time.
- Electronics, such as cell phones, TVs and microwaves.
- Radiology, such as X-rays and CT-scans.
- Parasites picked up in contaminated food.
- Fast foods/junk foods.
- Processed foods containing toxic additives and preservatives.
- Drugs, including the prescribed ones.
- Alcohol abuse.
- Stress causes toxic hormones such as adrenalin and cortisol to be released in the body. See how to manage stress to support weight loss.
What are the signs of having toxins in your body?
- Unexplained fatigue
- Excessive mucus or runny nose.
- Fuzzy thinking and mental confusion.
- Bad breath and body odor.
- Puffy eyes and face.
- A sluggish digestive system, causing weight gain and constipation.
- Excessive weight and bloated tummy.
- Skin reactions, such as rashes and outbreaks.
- Sensitivity to chemical smells, such as fragrances.
- Chronic muscle and joint pains.
- Sluggish elimination
- Low-grade infection
- Puffy eyes or bags under the eyes
The benefits of detoxifying your body
- Increased energy and vitality
- Weight loss
- A clear skin
- Clearer thinking
- General health and wellbeing
- It is anti-aging!
Before starting on any detox diet, it’s always good to check with your doctor, especially if there are any health concerns.
There are many detoxification programs and detox recipes out there, all depending on your individual needs. Many programs follow a seven-day schedule because it takes time to cleanse out the whole body and its systems.
A three to seven day juice fast drinking only purified water and fresh low carb vegetable and fruit juices would also be an effective way to release toxins.
Three detox diets you can follow in a low carb way:
- A simple low carb fruit and veggie detox
- A smoothie cleanse
- A juice cleanse
Try this super effective 7-Day Detox Program:
- flush away years of built up toxins
- heal your hormones
- kickstart your metabolism
Other ways to help your body detoxify
There are natural ways to detoxify your body and keep your energy levels up without taking drastic measures such as fasting, colon cleanses, etc.:
- Drink as much (pure) water as possible, at least 2 litres per day.
- Diet: As much organic, raw/alkaline vegetables, fruits, sprouts, raw nuts and seeds as possible.
- Detoxifying smoothies or juices. Replace a meal a day by blending a smoothie or revitalize by juicing with vegetables and fruit. (see ‘Blending versus juicing’)
- Probiotics to balance the ‘good’ bacteria in your digestive system.
- Natural herbal remedies.
- Detoxing dandelion tea.
- Exercise that helps you break a sweat or that stimulates your lymphatic system.
- Relieve stress with meditation and yoga.
- Dry brush your skin to stimulate circulation.
- Deep massages to stimulate lymphatic drainage.
- Take saunas or steam baths to sweat out toxins.
- Hot salt water baths with lots of sea salt or epsom salts (I use at least 1 kg (2.2 lbs).
- Practice hydrotherapy by taking a very hot shower for five minutes, allowing the water to run on your back. Follow with cold water for 30 seconds. Do this three times, and then get into bed for 30 minutes.
- Breathe in clean air, as natural as possible or invest in a good quality air purifier for your home or office.
- Deep breathing exercises to allow oxygen to circulate more completely through your system (Try doing it out in nature).
- Acupuncture, reflexology or acupressure.
- Get enough sleep.
- Keep your mobile phone as far away as possible from your body. Try using only speaker phone.
- Switch off your wi-fi at night.
- Over time we all pick up unwanted parasites. Especially if you travel a lot it is easy to pick up parasites in your food, such as intestinal worms. Ask your pharmacist or herbalist for tablets to get rid of them.
It would be a good idea to set at least one day a week aside for detoxing your body by drinking just water and other fluids such as green juices and dandelion tea.
Then, observe your body and watch how you loose more weight – and start to look and feel so much better!